Subject: Re: [boost] [gsoc] Proposal - Boost.Matrix - DRAFT RFC
From: Kornel Kisielewicz (kornel.kisielewicz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-01 09:59:13

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 3:43 PM, Paul A. Bristow <pbristow_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> This looks a lot better, but I would err on the side of even more caution
> and build the tests and the documentation as you go along, so the docs and
> tests are also your primary deliverables for boost::matrix base container
> class for 2-dimensional matrices.

I have a habbit of writing unit tests after interface but before
implementation. As for documentation it will generally be written on
the go.

> But I can see that you will need things like operator<< to do testing.

I see no problem here :)

> The reason for this is that getting the idiosyncratic Boost test and doc
> system will cause you some (much?) trouble to get going, but without them,
> the code itself will be very much less valuable because it won't be
> reviewable, or even not usable.

I don't see what problem is there with Boost.Test -- I used it a lot
recently for unit testing my own project. As far as documentation
goes, I only know the basics of QuickBook though.

> I would strongly encourage you to use Quickbook to generate Boostbook and
> Doxygen with auto-doc, and John Maddock's indexing system too.   This is
> hard work to set up and get going, but IMO the results are well worth it.

I'm a big fan of doxygen, and usually comment before coding. As for
the rest of the tools I'll need to take a look.

> (I am working on a 'boilerplate' to help ease this painful process - ask
> when you are starting?)

That doesn't depend on me :).

> PS I would suggest NOT wasting your very limited time worrying about
> obsolete compilers - concentrate ton recent gcc and MSVC 9 SP1 - and ask for
> help from the Boost list with other recent less-popular compilers (unless
> you are already using them).

I 'd really count on that. As for compilers I have immidate access
only to GCC 4.4 and 4.3 on Linux, and GCC 4.3, MSVC 8 & 9 on Windows.

--
regards,
Kornel Kisielewicz