Subject: Re: [boost] Shorter link to getting started
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-04 18:12:19

Vladimir Prus wrote:
> I would like to modify the configure script to mention getting started,
> so that user knows where to look for information, but unfortunately,
> the current URL is a bit long:
>
> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_38_0/more/getting_started/unix-variants.html
>
> It is 77 characters, so it does not leave any space for any other text.
> Can the website administrators arrange for some shorter redirect to be available?
> Say
>
> http://www.boost.org/getting_started/unix-variants.html
>
> ?

There's already a shorter link available since there's a shorter link
for all release docs that doesn't have the version number:

http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/release/more/getting_started/unix-variants.html

But I guess that's still long :-( You can add an appropriate redirect
yourself though. Just change either
<https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/browser/website/public_html/beta/.htaccess>,
or
<https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/browser/website/public_html/beta/doc/.htaccess>
(with the usual beta testing, then merge to live). The former if you
want a root looking link. And the latter if you want a "/doc/*" link.
Perhaps:

   http://www.boost.org/getting_started_unix.html

And

   http://www.boost.org/getting_starget_windows.html

??

Note, you should redirect to the "/doc/libs/release/..." so that it
repoints to the current docs. Although there's a long standing repquest
by Dave to be able to update the getting started without having to
update the release ZIPs.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything