Subject: Re: [boost] [threads] making parts of Boost.Threads header-only
From: Ulrich Eckhardt (doomster_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-08 01:46:28

On Tuesday 07 April 2009 12:11:47 joaquin_at_[hidden] wrote:
> Looks like a sensible part of Boost.Threads, namely that
> dealing with mutexes and locks, would be header-only
> but for its relying on boost/thread/exceptions.hpp, whose
> implementation is located at /libs/thread/*/exceptions.cpp.
>
> Given that this .cpp mostly consists of extremely simple
> definitions (as simple as do-nothing functions in many cases),
> would it make sense to move this to inline definitions in
> boost/thread/exceptions.hpp thus making mutexes and locks
> header-only? This would greatly enhance the appeal of this
> part of Boost.Threads, as having to link a separate module
> is a considerable burden.

There is a "compile-in-place" project in the sandbox, which allows you to
#include <boost/thread/compile-in-place.cpp> in exactly one translation unit
in order to use Boost.Thread. Unfortunately I lack the time/energy to finish
converting newer versions so that this feature can finally be pushed to the
trunk.

Would that be an alternative?

Uli