Subject: Re: [boost] [threads] making parts of Boost.Threads header-only
From: Schrader, Glenn (gschrad_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-08 17:31:22

I can see both sides of this. I don't like gratuitous inlining since it's a performance optimization and premature optimization is evil (per Knuth). Its also harder to set breakpoints on inlined functions. Also, if something is in a shared library there only needs to be one copy in memory rather than one per process. The places where inlining will actually make a performance difference are use-case dependent. This is a problem for a generic library like boost since it can be hard to predict all of the functions that some user might need to squeeze every last bit of performance out of.

Even so, using the libraries isn't painless. One of the things that I don't like is that depending on how a build is configured the file names might or might not be mangled with the gcc version. It would be really nice if there were something like a pkg-config file that could be queried to find the names to link in for a given install. While I'm wishing it would be even better if accounted for inter-library dependencies and gave back all of the additional libraries (including system libraries) needed to link in given boost library.

--glenn