Subject: Re: [boost] Interest check: constant input matching manipulator
From: Scott McMurray (me22.ca+boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-08 18:18:42

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 16:24, Stewart, Robert <Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> That's a lot of noise and the syntax is non-obvious for the purpose at hand.  I suspect unwarranted compilation overhead, too.  Something simpler seems in order:
>
>   #include <boost/something/literal.hpp>
>   using boost::something::literal;
>
>   int a;
>   std::cin >> literal("a=") >> a;

Do we need any (new) syntax at all? What if we just make RValues
always do that where reasonable? Then we can spell it add_const if
actually needed...

In fact, can someone come up with a good use case for needing more
than just character and string literals? I feel like anything more
than that might be better left to spirit/regex/whatever.