Subject: Re: [boost] [1.39.0] getting started update
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-15 18:41:50

on Wed Apr 15 2009, Vladimir Prus <vladimir-AT-codesourcery.com> wrote:

> The attached patch updates getting started to the
> changes I've did to simplify build process, described
> in:
>
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/188461
>
> and some other existing reality. Specifically:
>
> 1. The bootstrap + bjam procedure is documented.

Awesome

> 2. The Boost.System library is added to the list of libraries
> needing compilation.

Thanks.

> 3. Unix docs are adjusted to use stage/lib everywhere, as
> opposed to using 'lib' in some cases.

Good job.

> Dave, can you review this? I have regenerated HTML and visually
> inspected them, but HTML diffs are not included for clarity.

There's only one section I'd change:

> +If you wish to build from source and is using Visual C++, you can use a
> +simple build procedure described in this section. Open the command prompt
> +and change your current directory to the Boost root directory. Then, type
> +the following commands::
> +
> + bootstrap
> + .\bjam
> +
> +The first command prepares the Boost.Build system for use. The second
> +command invokes Boost.Build to build C++ Boost. Please consult the
> +`Boost.Build documentation`__ for a list of options that can be passed
> +to ``bjam``.

should read:

If you wish to build from source with Visual C++, you can use a
simple build procedure described in this section. Open the command prompt
and change your current directory to the Boost root directory. Then, type
the following commands::

  bootstrap
  .\bjam

The first command prepares the Boost.Build system for use. The second
command invokes Boost.Build to build the separately-compiled Boost
libraries. Please consult the `Boost.Build documentation`__ for a list
of options that can be passed to ``bjam``.

[Note: "C++ Boost," while possibly implied by the old logo, is not the
name of our project. It's either "Boost" or "The Boost C++ Libraries"]

Cheers,

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing