Subject: Re: [boost] request for interest in a garbage collection library
From: Patrick Mihelich (patrick.mihelich_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-20 17:50:03

Detecting cycles is the usual argument for garbage collection, but not the
only one. For example, it is useful for implementing persistent data
structures, where the memory dependencies quickly get very complicated.
These data structures are common (often required) in functional languages,
which is one reason those languages are garbage collected as a rule. In some
cases it is even possible for garbage collection to be faster than explicit
allocation and deallocation, as the allocation strategy can be extremely
simple (just bump a pointer).

I agree that RAII is an excellent solution to at least 90% of memory
management, but I think there is enough reason to investigate opt-in garbage
collection approaches for C++.

Patrick