Subject: Re: [boost] [1.39.0] Ready for beta?
From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-23 05:16:25

jbosboom_at_[hidden] wrote:

> Eric Niebler wrote:
>> Under cygwin, ./bootstrap.sh seems to build bjam successfully.
>
> When I try it in cygwin in ~/boost/, two errors are printed to the console
> before the "detecting Python, Unicode for regex, making Boost.Build
> config, etc" text:
>
> $ ./bootstrap.sh
> Building Boost.Jam with toolset gcc... ./bootstrap.sh: line 219: cd:
> /home/Jeffrey: No such file or directory
> ./bootstrap.sh: line 220: cd: ./tools/jam/src: No such file or directory
> tools/jam/src//bjam
> cp: cannot stat `./tools/jam/src//bjam': No such file or directory

Thanks for report, I've added necessary quoting.

> This is probably because my Windows username, and thus my cygwin home
> directory, contains a space (it's "Jeffrey Bosboom"), and the argument to
> cd wasn't properly escaped. I couldn't run ./bjam --help at that point,
> as it didn't get copied. I re-extracted the 7z-ball to /tmp/boost/ and
> bootstrap.sh ran without error.
>
>> The user
>> is then instructed to type ./bjam --help to get command line help. This
>> outputs:
>>
>> Boost.Build V2 (Milestone 12)
>> Boost.Jam 03.1.17
>>
>> ... and then bjam just hangs and pegs the CPU! Can somebody else
>> corroborate?
>
> ./bjam --help runs fine for me. You might want to try rebasing the Cygwin
> DLLs, which seems to be the magic fix for weird problems like this.
> (Close all Cygwin processes, run /bin/ash.exe (from the Windows graphical
> shell or Start --> Run...), /bin/rebaseall .) Apparently the Cygwin
> dynamic loader is broken; I had to do this to run perl.exe a while ago and
> hence I don't encounter the problem when running bjam. This is just
> speculation, though.
>
> Building seems to go okay. It does print "Building C++ Boost" at the
> beginning, which is a bit confusing (there are no other Boosts, are
> there?),

Well, it meant to just say what is being built. In fact, it should be:

        Building the Boost C++ Libraries

to match official name of the project -- would that be less confusing.

> and the warnings about missing optional features should say "if
> you don't need this feature, you can safely ignore this warning" rather
> than just "this is optional".

I probably can fix this -- though it's per-library change and therefore
something annoying.

> I don't have the cycles to spare to build
> it all right now, but if you want me to try one particular target or such,
> let me know.

Thanks for your testing!

- Volodya