Subject: Re: [boost] [encrypted strings]
From: Edouard A. (edouard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-28 04:22:51

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 21:15:48 -0400, "Sid Sacek" <ssacek_at_[hidden]>
wrote:
> Trunk appears to be unstable; I can't get a successful build happening.
> Here's the error I keep getting:
>
> boost/utility/value_init.hpp(70) : error C2061: syntax error :
> identifier 'wrapper_address'
>
> Anyway, I see the technique you're using below. I'm going to play around
> with your idea, and possibly add some more obfuscation and see what I
> come up with.
>
> Thanks so much for the time you spent writing that sample.

Perhaps if you explain the context of your security problem we can provide
you with a good solution.

If your executable contains strings that the user should not see my
question would be : why?

Is this a login/password pair to a database? In which case, this means that
the user is using a program to access a database he shouldn't access
without it? Strange.

One use case I would see for this kind of encryption is a machine that
doesn't have internet access and disallow USB / floppies. The user is then
limited to what is installed on the machine. You want to protect against
someone who would drag your binary into notepad to get some info.

--
EA