Subject: Re: [boost] git clone up
From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-16 04:22:59

troy d. straszheim wrote:

> In case this reaches any other git enthusiasts, I've rigged up a git
> clone that is automatically tracking boost svn, here:
>
> http://sodium.resophonic.com/git/boost/
>
> Click around on it... it's smoking fast, despite the fact that it is
> running on hardware I found in the trash on the end of a mediocre
> uplink. There is a little howto here:
>
> http://sodium.resophonic.com/git/boost/about/

This presently has a link to

        http://sodium.resophonic.com/boost-git.html

and that one gives 404.

<sarcasm>
While I do use git myself, I still cannot comprehend how 'git clone'
can work for half-an-hour and that produce something where 'git log'
throws fits about something called HEAD not existing.
</sarcasm>

And now a couple of real questions:

1. Is there any way to simulate branches of subdirectories in git? Like,
switching tools/build/v2 to a branch without affecting anything else?

In SVN, we have a branch at: http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/branches/build/python_port/
which is branched from trunk/tools/build/v2. Now, in git the branch is called 'build',
and it contains 'python_port' subdirectory, and that contains entire Boost. It would
be mightly inconvenient it switching between trunk and python port branch will change
locations of everything.

2. Is this meant as read-only medium, or you envision this becoming preferred place
for on-the-side experimentation, such as branches and sandbox?

- Volodya