Subject: Re: [boost] trunk vs release
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-21 12:05:56

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 12:45 PM, Robert Ramey <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> This discussion demonstrates what's wrong with the current testing of the
> trunk.
>
> Here is the way it should be done.
>
> For each library that is changed, the library version on the trunk should be
> tested against
> the release branch.  In practice this would work something like the
> following:
>
> On the tester's machine start out with a current image of the release
> branch.
>    For each library A
>        switch library A's directories to the trunk
>        run tests
>        Restore image to release

Yep, that would often be optimal. Without spending a lot of time
thinking it through, that sounds roughly like the test-on-demand
scenario we've often talked about, except with test-on-demand it might
be any branch, not just trunk, that gets switched to.

One issue, however, is when a library that other libraries depend on
makes a breaking change. In that case a set of libraries have to be
switched together for testing, and then merged into release at the
same time.

--Beman