Subject: Re: [boost] trunk vs release
From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-21 13:55:07

troy d. straszheim wrote:
> Robert Ramey wrote:
>> This discussion demonstrates what's wrong with the current testing of
>> the trunk.
>>
>> Here is the way it should be done.
>>
>> For each library that is changed, the library version on the trunk
>> should be tested against
>> the release branch. In practice this would work something like the
>> following:
>>
>> On the tester's machine start out with a current image of the release
>> branch.
>> For each library A
>> switch library A's directories to the trunk
>> run tests
>> Restore image to release
>
> Or (indulge me) more generally:
>
> merge branch B with release branch
> run tests
>
> i.e., "library A on the trunk" is just a specific case of a branch,
> and "switch library A's directories to the trunk" is just a specific
> (painfully easy) case of a merge.

I don't quite agree. Assuming I have boost version N installed on my
system (no matter by what means), I may want to test a given library
(from whatever branch) against the installed system, not necessarily a
working copy of a whole boost tree.

Thus the minimal use case I'd like to be considered is to have one
isolated library be built / tested, where all its prerequisites are
'outside' the tree. In that sense those prerequisites should all be
treated alike, as part of the 'development environment' the current
library needs.

Thanks,
       Stefan