Subject: Re: [boost] trunk vs release (svn:externals)
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-26 10:33:44

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 6:58 AM, Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> What might an optimal solution to keeping headers in their library tree
> look like that didn't use svn:externals? Perhaps something like this:
>
> * For users (i.e. anyone needing read-only access), a post-checkout step
> that moved the headers from their library tree to boost-root/boost.
>
> * For developers (i.e. anyone needing read/write access), a post-checkout
> step that created hard links in boost-root/boost.
>
> Something to think about if svn:externals can't be made to work.

Hum... Just checked trunk/boost on my Windows XP machine: 89.5 megs in
files, taking 150 megs of disk space. Nothing like svn::externals that
creates copies is optimal space wise, aside from merging or other concerns.
And anything that involves a post-checkout step will be less than robust.

So maybe we should go back to first principles and rethink what we are
trying to achieve. Hum... IIRC, Troy already posted something along those
lines. That might be a more productive thread to continue with.

--Beman