Subject: Re: [boost] Trac policy on
From: Ryan Gallagher (ryan.gallagher_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-29 02:44:01

Ulrich Eckhardt <doomster <at> knuut.de> writes:

> "open" means just that, and it classifies the current state of the issue. If
> something is a bug but not fixable for whatever reason its current state is
> "open" because it is not fixed at the moment. The fact that it never will be
> fixed is a different thing, which should obviously be justified in the ticket,
> but it doesn't change the state from "open" automatically.

Another possibility: Use a special milestone, e.g. "never", to indicate that
the maintainer doesn't believe it should/will ever be resolved. Thus, the
bug can stay open but still be trivial for maintainers to filter out.

Whatever is decided, I hope that the standard operating procedure is that when
the bug is moved to this "won't fix" state, a clear reason is given. I'll
admit that in other projects I'm one of those who, if the bug is closed with
no (or poor) reasoning, will re-open bugs with a question as to why it was
marked as such instead of being deferred. Often sound reasoning can be
provided, but occasionally the bug gets closed as "won't fix" simply because
the person doing the triaging didn't realize they had the option to defer to
a later release. This is a sad way to lose track of a bug.

Anyhow, I hope this idea helps,

-Ryan