Subject: Re: [boost] [Graph] how to test/submit patch
From: Tim Keitt (tkeitt_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-29 22:57:58

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 2:08 PM, Marshall Clow <marshall_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> At 1:02 PM -0500 5/29/09, Tim Keitt wrote:
>>
>> I would like to submit a patch for the Graph library. (This is the
>> iterator splitting issue I raised some time ago.)
>
> Same answer as on the -users list ;-)
>
>> So what is the procedure?
>>
>> 1) check out source from sourceforge SVN (done)
>> 2) make changes
>> 3) run tests??? (what is the best way to ensure the behavior has not
>> changed?)
>
> Run the tests.

I was trying to ascertain where they live and how to run them.

> If you think that there should be more tests, write them.

Should be easy to come up with a test case or two. Just checking to
see if I haven't missed something standard in terms of regressions,
etc.

> Ideally, you should write a test that fails on the unpatched version of the
> library, and succeeds after applying your patch.

The goal is not to change the existing behavior. My patch should not
affect algorithms called on the built-in data structures. It will make
the library compatible with my own data structures that require
slightly more restrictive assumptions regarding iterator pairs.

>> 4) generate the patch (use svn diff?)
>
> Yep.

Its been a long time -- are there preferred formats/switches when
calling diff? (I recall vaguely a -p argument.)

>> 5) submit somewhere
>
> In a Trac ticket. <http://svn.boost.org>

OK.

Thanks for the help.