Subject: Re: [boost] [Serialization]#3118 basic_binary_oarchive.hpp - save_override possible loss of data warnings
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-01 12:29:20

> there is still a possibility of a silent loss of data.

This would only be an issue in following cases:

a) A class has more than 255 backward compatible versions.
b) An archive has more than 64K different classes in it.

It is currently inconcievable to me that such a program
would ever be written. Setting the sizes of these
types to larger values would make every single binary
archive bigger and slower.

The only think I might suggest is that one add an
assertion so that if either of the above were to occur,
the program would trap - at least in debug mode. So
maybe one might use

assert(t.t < max_value<unsigned char>
> const unsigned char x = static_cast<unsigned char>(t.t);

assert(t.t < max_value<int_least16_t >
> const int_least16_t x = static_cast<int_least16_t>(t.t);

Robert Ramey