Subject: Re: [boost] [fusion] improving compile times
From: Hartmut Kaiser (hartmut.kaiser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-02 21:13:22

Steven Watanabe wrote:
> John Bytheway wrote:
> > I later had to abandon the project because the template
> metaprogramming
> > was too memory-hungry, but it was a valuable lesson. I don't suppose
> > anyone's written a preprocessing metaprogramming profiler yet?
> >

> It should be easy to build it on top of wave.

Yeah, easy enough to hack that together relatively quickly. I added a new
command line option to the Wave tool --macrocounts/-c allowing to specify a
file name (or '-' for stdout) where the tool will print the names and
invocation counts of all expanded macros. The best way to profile macro
expansion counts seems to be 'wave -c- -o- ...include paths... filename',
where -c- prints the counts to cout and -o- suppresses any output from the
actual preprocessing.

HTH
Regards Hartmut