Subject: Re: [boost] [lexical_cast] Locale used during conversion
From: Adam Badura (abadura_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-04 12:55:33

> At a glance this all seems reasonable and useful, but I am sure everyone
> is
> concerned at the risk of causing collateral damage - because lexical_cast
> is
> so very, very widely used.
>
> Can anyone wanting the new features volunteer to try out your version?
>
> I'd like to see some other reports of successful use of this, not
> necessarily to test the locale features.

    In my company I replaced inclusion of Lexical Cast with the file I
posted here and used classic_lexical_cast where appropriate and everything
seems fine. However indeed it would be better if someone else checked as
well since lexical_cast may cause collateral damage. I made this change
because of this in the first place (I was a victim of consequences of
changing global locale when lexical_cast is widely used).

    And that is why I tried to make changes so that the call to lexical_cast
executes the same code with except of few null pointers passed as parameters
and few ifs checking (and doing nothing in result) those pointers.

> Would it be wise to do this before unleashing it on trunk to make that it
> don't cause trouble in the nightly tests?

    It likely would. However I don't know how to do that and whether I even
may do that...

    Adam Badura