Subject: Re: [boost] boost::directx?
From: Christian Schladetsch (christian.schladetsch_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-07 07:52:59

Hello Artyom,

> It is not about OpenGL, DirectX war, it is about Boost policy

I fully grok boost's policies and ideas. If i wanted to be pendantic, I
could name many cases where boosts' own primary policies have been bent, or
broken.

Boost is not set in stone. It came from the idea of helping people write
good C++.

That is the motivation behind my idea of having a boost::directx namespace.

The hard reality is that a lot of people use C++ and DirectX. A lot of
people use C++ *because* they use DirectX. Another group use DirectX because
they use C++.

Beyond all the formalities, I have to reduce myself to hand-waving. If you
took a survey, in 2009 you will find that most people use C++ under Visual
Studio. Fewer use linux-derivatives, and fewer again others use some custom
vendors, but in reality, boost is addressing a Windows-oriented,
performance-based audience.

That is the reality.

That audience not only includes but primarily consists of game developers.
And they all use DirectX.

So.

Do you want cast down righteous fire from the ivory tower, or do you want to
help the coders make performant applications?

Regards,
Christian