Subject: Re: [boost] [website] adding Google analytics reports to boost.org
From: Joaquin M Lopez Munoz (joaquin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-08 15:49:18

Vladimir Prus <vladimir <at> codesourcery.com> writes:

> joaquin <at> tid.es wrote:
> >
> > * Whose the reports' associated Google account should
> > be?
>
> Daniel James Seriously, to use GA to optimize anything,
> one has to have direct access to the reporting interface,
> and it's not like we have lots of folks working on the website.

Certainly Daniel is an obvious candidate, but as I comment
in my previous response to Dave it's preferrable (aesthetically
as well as perhaps legally, given that getting a Google
Account implies acceptance of the terms of service) to
have a non-personal account.

> > * How to make the data public? This is not technically
> > trivial, but maybe some volunteer would like to do the
> > job of extracting the data via the Google Analytics Data
> > Export API:
> >
> > http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/05/22/make-your-google-analytics-data-public/
>
> Since the data will be of limited use, it might be sufficient to provide
> monthly reports on key metrics only.

I'm not keen on the idea of adding just another task
to the burden of the webmaster when there's the
possibility to automate the job (if we find the volunteer
to do the programming, that is). Besides, we could have
a really beatiful mashup, with a worldmap showing
geographical distributions, statistic graphs, etc.

Joaquín M López Muñoz
Telefónica, Investigación y Desarrollo