Subject: Re: [boost] boost::directx?
From: Emil Dotchevski (emildotchevski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-08 21:10:28

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 5:47 PM, David Bergman
<David.Bergman_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On Jun 8, 2009, at 8:19 PM, Emil Dotchevski wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 5:07 PM, David Bergman
>
> [snip]
>
>>> I am not even super-happy about quite specific math libraries entering
>>> Boost
>>> now and then - ending up with a bunch of them.
>>
>> The question is, do we or do we not allow domain-specific libraries in
>> Boost? I think that it is obvious that we do, there are quite a few of
>> them.
>
> Yeah? I think you have the wrong idea about Boost - have you used Boost a
> lot, and in that case, what libraries?

Domain-specific Boost libraries are a fact, yet I have the wrong idea
about Boost? :)

>> We could say "OK, no more domain-specific libraries in
>> Boost!!!~!~1`~!!~111" but first we must formally define the domain of
>> libraries that are acceptable in Boost. Good luck with that. :)
>
> First of all, I do not understand why we would have to use profanity in
> stating that, but alright, I would definitely welcome such a decision, and
> it is quite easy; just see the table above. I would welcome exclusion of
> those 15 domain-specific libraries...

You still need to provide a formal definition of what is a
domain-specific library and what isn't. You can't just say "These 15
libraries are domain-specific because I say so."

Not to mention, this presumes that there is an agreement that we don't
welcome domain-specific libraries in Boost, which (obviously?) isn't
true.

Emil Dotchevski
Reverge Studios, Inc.