Subject: Re: [boost] Proposal: Monotonic Containers
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-09 09:14:59

Christian Schladetsch wrote:
On Tuesday, June 09, 2009 8:07 AM

> That is not what I asked for. I wanted online docs and code.
> We are very busy people, and anything that takes extra time
> is likely to mean we don't bother.
> >
> OK well on second thought, what?
>
> I am also busy.
>
> I gave you a link to code and documentation in the one archive.
>
> Click on the link, get the code and the documentation. Sorry
> that you have to click into the archive twice, but boost
> doesn't have a better way of doing it ATM that I am aware of.

You're assuming that everyone uses an environment which makes viewing your HTML page just a couple of clicks, which is not necessarily true. Even when that's the case, those with no further interest must also remove the file(s) that result.

A bigger issue for me is the attitude that seems to pervade your message traffic, including that in the DirectX thread. I think I see efforts at patience on your part, when I read things like, "I have repeatedly said, ...." It suggests frustration on your part that folks "aren't getting it" or aren't paying attention. However, I have read a great many posts from you that I can't construe as other than antagonistic, like this one.

You are asking folks to take their time to investigate something you've proposed. Some folks will immediately jump at the idea and will be willing to expend a good deal of effort to evaluate what you have. Some are uninterested and won't expend any effort. There are others who have a passing interest and might have a look at what you've done, but could easily be thwarted from doing so by trivial things like having to download an archive, extract the files, view the HTML page, and then delete the files.

Thorsten either fits in the latter group, or was concerned for your sake about that group. He offered you helpful advice that should increase the number of people that give your proposal at least a cursory look. Your response appears intended to denigrate Thorsten for his laziness and imposition on you. That is hardly constructive and discourages others from working with you.

I hope you take the time to respond kindly and to assume the best of others henceforth. If I have misconstrued your attitude, then I ask that you think a little more about how you word your posts in order to avoid further misinterpretation insofar as it is within your power to do so.

For your edification, you might read http://www.boost.org/community/policy.html#culture and http://www.boost.org/community/policy.html#effective-discussions.

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]