Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.Bloom_filter now in Sandbox (WAS Re: Interest in a Bloom Filter?)
From: Dean Michael Berris (mikhailberis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-09 11:40:23

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 8:10 PM, Sebastian
Redl<sebastian.redl_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Dean Michael Berris wrote:
>>

>> I thought about it a little more and I don't think I like the idea of
>> a separate static and dynamic bloom_filter. If there are more reasons
>> to allow for dynamically growing bloom filters, then I might support
>> this.
>>
> Dynamically growing bloom filters are technically impossible.

Oh, you're right.

> The
> request was for a bloom filter whose size is set at construction time.
> This is useful e.g. because it allows the user of some filtering tool to
> trade memory for reliability via a configuration file instead of having
> to recompile.

Agreed. Then I'll implement a dynamically sized bloom filter, maybe
call it dynamic_bloom_filter that uses a Boost.Dynamic_bitset
internally.

Thanks for pointing out my oversight.

--
Dean Michael Berris | Software Engineer, Friendster, Inc.
blog.cplusplus-soup.com | twitter.com/mikhailberis |