Subject: Re: [boost] Proposal: Monotonic Containers
From: Ross Levine (ross.levine_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-09 15:40:20

Chris, it clearly states in your paper that you referenced, in section 4.1,
that he is assuming the erasure of the equal-allocator assumption. Checking
the C++ standard, section 20.1.6, you will quickly see that the
equal-allocator assumption is still in place under the current standard.
Thus the techniques mentioned in that paper are non-portable. I will be the
first to say that this is stupid and makes lots of problems, but it is there
and there's nothing we can do.

Perhaps having a boost.config macro could solve the problem. If a particular
implementation enforces the equal allocator assumption, a template
specialization for std::vector<T, boost::monotonic_allocator<T> > (and list,
deque, etc) could be defined.