Subject: Re: [boost] Proposal: Monotonic Containers
From: Christian Schladetsch (christian.schladetsch_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-09 21:48:18

Hi Cory,

> My largest complaint with C++ is that containers do not fit well with
> high-perf low-overhead scenarios, so I'm very interested in seeing
> something like this.
>
> I would want to see it taken a step further though. Overhead can be a
> big deal for large objects, so re-implementing string and vector
> completely (so that you don't have the pointer/capacity specified
> twice, in container & allocator) would be a welcome change.

I don't think anyone doing high-performance code uses std::string. It is a
nightmare, and similarly for std::vector, for the reasons you claim.
However, re-writing these is not what I wish to do here...

> Let the
> user specify storage manually and throw if you go over it.

That is precisely what my proposal does.

> Make
> default copying just copy the pointers around instead of all data.

We can't lose value semantics for containers by default.

Regards,
Christian.