Subject: Re: [boost] [proto]: rewriting POOMA and Blitz++
From: Chandrashekhar Kumar (iitk.cs_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-14 14:28:11

On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 9:52 PM, Eric Niebler <eric_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Chandrashekhar Kumar wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> At some time Eric expressed that all the expression template based
>> libraries
>> of boost (notably Phoenix, Spirit) has to be re-written using proto.
>>

> Well no, I didn't say that. There were reasons for the move to Proto in all
> cases, mostly DSEL interoperability. Spirit.Qi and Spirit.Karma share
> terminals and host Phoenix expressions as semantic actions. Moving them all
> to Proto made sense. And the Spirit rewrite wasn't motivated by a move to
> Proto, either; that change went in at a later date.
>
> I haven't made (nor could I make) such a proclamation. Boost doesn't work
> that way.

Pl accept my apologies for making this wrong statement in your name. Instead
I should have just quoted your comment made related to that(which I couldn't
find out now somehow) when there was a discussion related to possible book
on proto in past. I misunderstood the whole point made then, now it is clear
to me in this context.

> I think that this target is kind of achieved by now.
>>

> The Phoenix rewrite is still a work in progress.
>
> Can something be done along the similar lines for re-writing the top-notch
>> libraries like POOMA and Blitz++ as a complete examples of proto
>> applications?
>>

> Why?

I thought that this exercise can be another example of using proto, but it
looks like I am wrong. I have to revisit my understanding of proto now.

> Does anyone has idea about how huge this undertaking can be?
>>

> You don't see me volunteering. ;-)

I was being naive in thinking that just replacing PETE-related stuff in
POOMA with proto will do the needful transition to make POOMA better and
same I thought for Blitz++.
My idea of proto and expression templates based design is completely shaken
now.
May be, I will take a break and revisit these again after a decent home work
only.

My sincere apologies for making such remarks with no base!

Thanks,
Chandra