Subject: Re: [boost] Removing Bind placeholders from the global namespace
From: Sohail Somani (sohail_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-14 18:06:22

Peter Dimov wrote:
> Sohail Somani:
>> Peter Dimov wrote:
>>> Well... and how does this achieve the goal of having "unified"
>>> placeholders in namespace boost::placeholders?
>>
>> Your question was what to do with the immediate problem of bind's global
>> placeholders... That was what I was responding to.
>
> OK, let's try again. Why is moving Bind's placeholders to namespace
> boost::bindns::placeholders instead of namespace boost::placeholders
> better, in your opinion?

Since you asked, in my opinion, it is better because it doesn't give the
wrong impression that these are *the* boost placeholders and all those
other libraries deliberately don't use them to make my life miserable :-)

Though, thinking about it a bit further, if you were to annex the
boost::placeholders namespace for bind's placeholders, maybe the other
library authors would support what is in that namespace with their
libraries. <hand_waving>How hard can it be?</hand_waving> I guess only
they know.

I am just asking for some assurance that boost::placeholders would not
just be placeholders that work with one library forever. I think that is
unfair to the user. There are some really great Boost libraries that
help you make your code more concise and it isn't a coincidence that
placeholders have a big part to play in these libraries.

Patches welcome, I suppose.

--
Sohail Somani
http://uint32t.blogspot.com