Subject: Re: [boost] Re moving Bind placeholders from the global namespace
From: Richard Webb (richard.webb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-15 06:34:21

Andrey Semashev-2 wrote:

> IMHO, if we're moving to unified placeholders (which is presumable the
> ultimate goal), this should be a major change to all involved libraries,
> namely, bind, lambda and phoenix at least. A backwards compatibility layer
> is
> a must for such a change, because the named libraries are the ones most
> frequently used. Moreover, I'd prefer if the old code compiled without a
> change by default (i.e. no BOOST_USE_GLOBAL_PLACEHOLDERS macro needed).
>
> I see another way of doing this. Perhaps, we could create a new functional
> library powered by proto that would accumulate features from bind, lambda
> and
> phoenix and release it independently. It could be designed the way we want
> and
> be targeted for recent compilers (IOW, drop hacks for ancient compilers).
> The
> old libraries would become deprecated, they won't change their interface a
> bit
> and will be left for compatibility. Maybe eventually these libraries will
> degenerate into a thin interface layers to the new library.

I seem to recall a discussion a while back (possibly at the time of the
Phoenix review) that mentioned the possibility of making boost::bind call
through to phoenix::bind on supporting compilers and using the previous
implementation on old/broken ones. That would then avoid the need for
seperate placeholders on at least recent compilers.