Subject: Re: [boost] Removing Bind placeholders from the global namespace
From: Sohail Somani (sohail_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-15 11:36:41

Eric Niebler wrote:
> Perhaps the idea of Grand Unified Placeholders is unimplementable in
> practice (I need to think more about this), but I do think that Bind and
> Phoenix can share placeholders, and that should eliminate 90% of all
> complaints going forward (once Lambda is good and deprecated).

90% of complaints is better!

> ... more rumination ...
>
> Is _1 == _2 a valid Bind expression? If so, and if we can make the
> semantics of such relational binds mean the same as the equivalent
> Phoenix expressions, then really, Phoenix is just an elaboration on Bind
> and these two libraries can still play nicely. I think.

The existing bind placeholders do not overload any operators. bind(...)
== bind(...) is a valid bind expression though, iirc. Well I've used it,
so it better be :-)

Maybe another solution is to deprecate all the other bind/placeholder
libs and suggest using Phoenix bind. That is, there is no point using
any of the other libs besides "The Chosen Lib." Not sure that will work
out too well though.

--
Sohail Somani
http://uint32t.blogspot.com