Subject: Re: [boost] [ann] Urdl - a library for downloading web content
From: Ryan Gallagher (ryan.gallagher_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-17 13:37:50

Marshall Clow <mclow.lists <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Jun 16, 2009, at 5:24 PM, Christopher Kohlhoff wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have just released a new Boost.Asio-based library, Urdl,
[snip]

> Looks nice (from reading the docs).
> I think the URL parsing class will turn out to be very useful,
> independently of URDL.

I agree on both counts.

After a brief look, one thing that wasn't obvious to me was why
exactly the url constructor throws boost::system::system_error
(other than performance of open). I can understand why you'd want
the open functions to do so and are taking advantage of implicit
conversion from std::string/char*. However, either letting them
throw a std::runtime_error derived url_parsing_error exception or
translating this exception to a system_error with an appropriate
error_code makes more sense to me.

Also, what the specific error code would be for a url parsing error
wasn't clear -- the constructor of url didn't document this from
what I saw.

Anyhow, looks useful, and I encourage you to continue development
on this. I can see possibly using this in one of our projects.
Thanks,

-Ryan