Subject: Re: [boost] [BOOST_ASSERT] any one against improving debug support?
From: Gennadiy Rozental (rogeeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-19 09:26:50

Thorsten Ottosen <thorsten.ottosen <at> dezide.com> writes:

> Ilya Sokolov skrev:
> > Thorsten Ottosen wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> The current difinition of BOOST_ASSERT is a pain to use with the
> >> debugger and Boost.Test because it doesn't trigger a break-point.
> >
> > Use --catch_system_errors=no on the command line or
> > testing.arg="--catch_system_errors=no" if you are using
> > Boost.Build.
>
> yeah, but it is pain to do this all the time. It's a good
> default for Boost's regression testing, but a poor default
> for ordinary unit-testing.

1. You can use environment variable to enforce desirable behavior
   all the time without your involvement.

2. In debugger (when it matters IMO) the break point is triggered
   regardless. If it's not the case it might be an issue.

3. I personally believe this is better way to report this error
   condition then test module is executed from command line. If
   I need to run in debugger I can always do this.

4. There is command line argument (auto_start_dbg) which should
   attach debugger automatically at the point of failure (instead
   of reporting error and aborting test module). It does not works
   for all debuggers yet, but it works very well on NT.

Gennadiy