Subject: Re: [boost] [move] moving temporaries of copyable types
From: Ion Gaztañaga (igaztanaga_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-23 11:52:19

klaus triendl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've recently taken a look at the Boost.Move library and it seems that
> it is only possible to make 1) either non-copyable types movable or 2)
> make copyable types move-aware by explicitly moving them.
>
> Now, I've discovered for myself that it is possible for pre-c++09
> compilers to make copyable types *implicitly* movable by detecting
> temporaries that can be moved.
>
> So, my question is whether this is well-known and this feature was
> deliberately excluded from Boost.Move or nobody has discovered it yet.
> It would be great to have support for copy- and (implicit) move-semantics.

Sorry for not catching this yet because I can't find time to fully
understand your approach and do some portability tests. Just to make
things a bit easier when I have some time, what do you mean with "make
copyable types *implicitly* movable"? Can you give me a concrete example
of what's possible with your approach that was not possible before?

Best,

Ion