Subject: Re: [boost] [Interprocess::Semaphore] Deadlock on more producers - one consumer problem
From: Ion Gaztañaga (igaztanaga_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-23 17:29:43

James Mansion wrote:
> Personally, I would welcome a framework that helps create multiprocess
> worker apps (strcuture a bit like Postgres I guess) and do it well.
> That's a much higher-level problem than any attempt to force an alien
> API on a system, and as such its easier to get acceptable performance
> everywhere. Personally I value Windows performance as much as anything
> alse and don't care for low-level emulations. ASIO is an example of
> something done right, IMO.

Then there is room for a new Boost library that does not overlap with
Interprocess. Just like we have an API to create a simple thread and
another library with pools and more advanced concurrency features.

I think your approach can be very attractive but I'm not the right
person to collaborate on this, I have no experience with this type of
frameworks. And I think we need some pretty good discussion between
concurrency experts until we find a good model for the framework. Any
volunteer?

Best,

Ion