Subject: Re: [boost] version conflicts: is there a solution?
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-24 08:51:34

Lewis Hyatt wrote:
> Hi Everyone-
>
> This has been discussed before
> (http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/180008), but I think my
> question is along a slightly different line so I thought I would ask about it.
> Let's say I want to compile and distribute a library (without the source), and I
> happen to use some boost header-only libraries as an implementation detail in
> some of my functions. None of the headers associated with my library include
> boost headers; it's purely an internal detail.
>
> Now, it seems to me that users of my library will still have to be aware of the
> fact that I used boost in my implementation -- specifically, if they happen to
> use different versions of the same boost libraries in their code, then the ODR
> is violated and the behavior is undefined.

If you are distributing a library without the source it means that you
are distributing a library in object format, whether shared or static.
In this case there is no conflict between the Boost header files you are
using internally and other uses of Boost since the end-user of your
library never sees the internal header files you are using.