Subject: Re: [boost] [convert] Now with Boost.Parameter interface.
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-30 08:22:47

Vladimir Batov wrote:
> From: "Stewart, Robert" <Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden]>
>
> >> 1. Both interfaces (for locale and dothrow) are currently
> >> supported:
> >>
> >> #1 int i = convert<int>::from(str, 0)(locale_ = new_locale)(throw_ = true);
> >> #2 int i = convert<int>::from(str, 0) >> new_locale >> dothrow;
> >>
> >> Should I remove #1?
> >
> > You should remove #2, not #1.

12345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345
> Yes, that's what I *actually* meant to say back then. :-) Now
> though after having both around I am not sure. As I mentioned I
> do like named-parameter-based interface -- I find it pleasant
> aesthetically (I just happen to like op()) and friendly.
> However, while typing I find myself favoring the frugality and
> practicality of #2. It is probably because
>
> 1) #2 uses the same interface/notation as ">> std::hex" (I
> admit of being a consistency/uniformity freak);

I like consistency, too, but as Emerson said, "a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds," so let's not put too much stock in it.

> 2) #2 is less to type (#1 requires using namespace
> boost::conversion::parameter;) (surely a weak argument but it
> saves me a round trip to the top of the file to add 'using');

That's a good argument actually, especially when coupled with...

> 3) I do not seem to find any other use for the named-parameter-
> based interface beyond locale_ and throw_ (so that the support
> basefor #1 is somewhat small... although this interface clearly
> scales better and more uniformly).

Combining the need for a using directive with the lack of named parameters, I find the use of named parameters questionable. They add compile time overhead and some code complexity for relatively little value.

I have forgotten now the arguments against the following, but I offer it again as a better interface because there's no using directive needed, yet there's a distinction between influencing the convert framework's behavior and the IOStreams conversion operation:

   int i(convert<int>::from(str, 0).locale(new_locale).throw_());

That is, rather than named parameters *or* (to my mind) misusing manipulators, simply use function calls to set those options. That even permits named functions for related options like classic_locale(), nothrow(), etc., easily providing additional flexibility and expressiveness.

Manipulators added to that convert expression, then, are ordinary manipulators that affect the underlying stream. There are none that apply to the convert framework while the rest apply to the stream. Separating the interface to those two parts of the machinery is a wise course, don't you agree?

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]