Subject: Re: [boost] [rfc] cppgui
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-07-01 15:41:28

Felipe Magno de Almeida wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 11:26 AM, Felipe Magno de
> Almeida<felipe.m.almeida_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 7:18 PM, Tomas<pecholt_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >> I think that couple of important topics were raised here. Things
> >> like MVC, layout system and surface concept briefly described on
> >> your website need to be thinked over in more detail because these
> >> are going to affect how the library will be used.
>
> I've started with a layout system implementation.

One layout mechanism that I've found very easy to use and easy enough to implement is a "spring tab" which I first saw in Borland's Sprint word processor eons ago. (I realize I'm crossing domains, but I think the idea applies readily.) The notion of a spring tab is that it exerts equal force on each side to separate things.

Put a spring tab against the left side and a widget on its right and the widget is right aligned. Reverse the two and the widget is left aligned. Surround a widget with spring tabs to center it.

If you juxtapose spring tabs, they act as though there is a zero space, invisible widget between them. Thus, <ST><ST>widget<ST> puts the widget 2/3 of the way across the horizontal extent.

Anyway, the idea is that they are relatively trivial widgets that can be assembled together quickly to get a reasonable arrangement that adapts as a window is resized. Perhaps that's a tool to include in your library.

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]