Subject: Re: [boost] [rfc] cppgui
From: Felipe Magno de Almeida (felipe.m.almeida_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-07-01 22:32:25

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 9:08 PM, David Abrahams<dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:

[snip]

> Have you looked at Adam and Eve from Adobe,

Yes.

> and the associated research papers?

No. Do you know where can I find it?

>  I think these guys have gone a long way down the road to
> figuring out how to do things "right" in that domain.

They did. But they took a very different approach. With another
language and all.
Though I understand it can help a lot using a more specific language
for GUI, I'm not still convinced it is the best approach. I think a
C++-only, with RAII, exceptions, library can be very easy to use as
well.
It is easier to extend with implementation-specific code too. Though
eve can be used separately.
When I started creating cppgui, I had to create GUIs for Microsoft
Management Console, which had to allow me to create windows from
already constructed windows (with already registered window_procedures
in win32) and resource files. One of the most important goals of
cppgui library is to be usable almost everywhere.
Though I do have plans for creating a DSEL to model windows in the
very far future. It would still be C++. No parsers, nor
highly-dynamic-scripted languages involved.
I just hope there's space for cppgui's goals after adam and eve.

> --
> Dave Abrahams
> BoostPro Computing
> http://www.boostpro.com