Subject: [boost] Library namespace guidelines
From: Neil Groves (neil_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-07-05 08:45:54

Boosters,

I have read both the "Library Requirments and Guidelines" and specifically
examined the "Boost Header Policy" and the section on naming consistency but
have yet to understand how I should choose to use namespaces for the next
version of Boost.Range, that incorporates the accepted Boost.RangeEx
proposal.

It feels indecent and naughty (in a bad way!) to be putting the library into
the top-level boost namespace. More importantly I am concerned that general
functions such as "find" will clash when combined with other boost libraries
both now and in the future.

Would the ideal scenario for new libraries be to have a library related
namespace under boost in a manner akin to Boost.Filesystem?
Is there already a strategy that is well-known that I am ignorant of?
Is there an existing strategy to migrate libraries that pollute the
top-level boost namespace that maximises backward compatibility?

Any assistance with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in anticipation,
Neil Groves