Subject: Re: [boost] [smart_ptr] shared_ptr template type
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-07-15 08:34:01

Zachary Turner wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 4:42 PM, John
> Bytheway<jbytheway+boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > Zachary Turner wrote:
>
> > It's interesting you should say that, because I have had
> > exactly the reverse experience. I find free function
> > overloads much superior to traits classes for simple things
> > like this. For example, I think boost::hash is better than
> > std::hash because it uses a free function and ADL to find the
> > hashes of my classes. The main advantage is the possibility
> > of using enable_if which allows one function overload to apply
> > to many classes. Can you be more explicit about the problems
> > you have had?
>
> The most recent experience I had is in regards to providing
> custom validators for types in boost::program_options. I
> actually made a thread about this a day or two ago on this
> list, which you can probably find in the most recent 20 or 30
> threads. But the gist of it is that I wanted to allow the user
> to specify an integer on the command line, and I wanted to
> enforce that the integer was within a certain range. Since
> boost::program_options has built-in support for validation I
> figured I'd use it. But, validation is enabled by a
> free-function overload on the type of the parameter. so you
> can provide validation for ints, validations for Foo's, etc,
> but you can't provide validation algorithm A for this specific
> command line option, and validation algorithm B for that
> specific command line option. It's not hard to just wait until
> the entire thing has been parsed and then check that each one
> it's in a certain range, but still, builtin support for
> validation has been implemented, so it would be nice if it was
> generic enough to handle a wide variety of validation
> scenarios.

I don't think there is a single best way to handle customization.
It depends upon whether a class template or a function template
is being customized, at the least.

Neither traits classes nor customization functions are as
flexible as policy classes for class templates. A class template
can be parameterized with a policy, likely defaulted to something
reasonable, which defines the desired behavior once for all uses
of that type. Being a policy class, however, the default can be
overridden. The same is not true for traits.

For function templates, however, a policy class isn't as
convenient as the other options because it must be provided for
each invocation, even when the default is wanted. A function
template could accept a defaulted functor argument, of course,
though deviating from the default requires passing the functor
for each invocation.

I suspect the desired parameter validation scheme requires
providing a functor when defining a particular parameter. That's
not onerous since each parameter is registered just once. The
same approach would be a problem with a hash function, however.
That scenario probably is better served by a hashing function
object that relies on a policy class to control the behavior of
its function call operator (a set-it-and-forget-it approach).

> Regarding enable_if, I didn't actually think of that. But is
> there a reason that if the generic class in question uses a
> default traits class as I suggested, that a user cannot simply
> provide a template specialization of that same class that uses
> the class template version of enable_if to achieve a similar
> effect?

I was wondering the same.

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]