Subject: Re: [boost] [smart_ptr] copyable_ptr?
From: Emil Dotchevski (emildotchevski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-07-16 17:06:25

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 1:46 PM, Ross Levine<ross.levine_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> I was wondering if boost has considered a smart pointer that is similar to
> scoped_ptr but supports deep copy semantics. This would be useful in classes
> which use the pimpl idiom, as a common way to program these classes is with
> a scoped_ptr or auto_ptr, but then a copy constructor and copy assignment
> operator needs to be defined.

My common way to program these classes is with shared_ptr actually.
Yes, it does require copy ctor and op= if deep copy semantics are
needed but that's rare (in my experience anyway) and the benefit of
shared_ptr is that you have complete control over the memory
allocations, all done in the cpp file completely decoupled from the
interface.

Emil Dotchevski
Reverge Studios, Inc.