Subject: Re: [boost] [xpressive] Performance Tuning?
From: Daniel Hulme (st_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-07-19 18:48:53

Hey, John. Your benchmark results make a very interesting addition to
the discussion. Perhaps I can clear something up for you:

On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 02:46:33PM +0100, John Bytheway wrote:
> The problem is that parse takes its first argument by reference, and
> va.begin() is a temporary. If I take a copy of va.begin() and pass that
> it works fine. I don't see how this compiled in MSVC (does
> string::begin() return a non-const reference?), but anyway.

MSVC allows binding temporaries to non-const reference arguments, as an
extension. It's sort of useful, but it's also sort of annoying -
sometimes both at once.

--
"He is strongly identified with rebels,  you see,  and very popular with
rabbles.   They will follow him  and he will fight  to the last drop  of