Subject: Re: [boost] "I want everything" should build "out of the box" (on Windows)
From: Doug Gregor (doug.gregor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-07-28 11:48:56

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 8:31 AM, OvermindDL1<overminddl1_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> The main platform I have to work on is Windows, and I had seen that
> before but disregarded it since it had no Windows support.  However, I
> just checked, it looks like Windows support was *just* added (version
> 1.3.3, the current version, 1.3.4 is in progress), fascinating.

MPICH2 and Microsoft's MS-MPI also provide MPI for Windows.

> Still, a completely in-boost option would allow for all the template
> magic everyone here knows, thus it could become higher performant then
> any other MPI library out.  Possible incentive anyway.  :)

A completely in-Boost option is unlikely to ever perform as well as
any of the aforementioned MPI implementations. Each of these
implementations has had many man-years of optimization to extract the
best performance out of today's networking hardware. Even if we
managed to provide comparable performance for some common platform
(say, TCP on Windows), we're certainly not going to be able to compete
with vendor-optimized implementations for more specialized,
high-performance networking hardware.

  - Doug