Subject: Re: [boost] "I want everything" should build "out of the box" (on Windows)
From: Kenny Riddile (kfriddile_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-07-28 13:11:19

Vladimir Prus wrote:
> Kenny Riddile wrote:
>
>>> Are you suggesting that a UI where you see all configuration variables
>>> immediately, and can tweak them, is a good idea?
>
>> Do I sense some sarcasm? :)
>
> There was none intended -- I actually wanted to know the answer to that question.
> In part, because you specifically mentioned the gui as good thing, so I want
> to find out *what* is attractive exactly.
>
> There's of course hidden agenda somewhere there, but it does not affect genuinity
> of the question.
>
> - Volodya

Oh, then yes, I am unequivocally saying that is a good thing, especially
when the GUI runs on all major platforms and has fairly intuitive
command-line alternatives to fall back on. Just as in programming,
having a good interface prevents confusion and misuse. A GUI has the
ability to make it immediately clear which variables are available and
which values are valid for each variable. Doing that without a GUI
usually requires reading through separate textual documentation and
piecing together the information you need.