Subject: Re: [boost] [xpressive] Performance Tuning?
From: Edward Grace (ej.grace_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-07-29 05:44:39

>> Nice idea. I wondered if it could be applied to functions or
>> function pointers. I'm not convinced it's properly supported in
>> this context. Anyhow, I think a 'global variable' trick works. A
>> more elegant solution is welcome!
>
> Volatile will have more side effects and prevent optimization that we
> might want the compiler to make

Thanks for that comment.

I looked into the true meaning of 'volatile' and unfortunately I
don't think it's quite appropriate either. I've spotted a trick in
something highlighted by Joel de Guzman regarding ( I think ) the
following:

   http://tinyurl.com/kk858o

to avoid dead code and control certain cache behaviour. I think this
is what I want to ensure. It appears that using boost::bind has a
similar effect (at least as far as dead code is concerned) - but I do
not want to rely on that.

-ed

"No more boom and bust." -- Dr. J. G. Brown, 1997