Subject: Re: [boost] "I want everything" should build "out of the box" (on Windows)
From: KSpam (keesling_spam_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-07-29 15:22:08

> >> Does initial cache use the same syntax as the ordinary cache,
> >
> > Yes.
>
> Hmm, does not work for me:
>
> $ cp CMakeCache.txt initial
> $ cmake -C initial .
> CMake Error: Error in cmake code at
> /tmp/x/initial:17:
> Parse error. Expected a command name, got unquoted argument with
> text "//Path". CMake Error: Error processing file:initial
> $ cmake --version
> cmake version 2.6-patch 2
>
> Am I doing something wrong?

The cmake file(s) that can be passed in via the "-C" option do not have the
same syntax as CMakeCache.txt. Instead they have the normal CMake syntax
(which I find easier to work with). For instance, you could have a file
initial.cmake:

        # Contents of initial.cmake
        set(CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX "my/path/for/install" CACHE STRING "Where to put
installed files" FORCE)

This file could then be used:

        cmake -C initial.cmake my/path/to/source/tree

> OK. Regardless of the reason for the above error -- which might well be my
> error -- I think I now understand the attractive parts of CMake
> configuration framework, and will make use of that understanding.

I would like to add that although the GUI and the easy to modify configuration
of CMake is very nice, it is a very small fraction of the CMake configuration
framework. Perhaps the more important feature is the ability to find third-
party libraries on any number of host system configurations "automagically".
I would expect that this feature is also one of the more difficult to
duplicate.

Respectfully,
Justin