Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.Plot? - Scalable Vector Graphics
From: Thomas Klimpel (Thomas.Klimpel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-07-31 06:27:03

Max wrote:
> Thank you Volodya. I know of the Qt collection but never make
> used of it before.
>
> One more quick questions for boosters that are familiar with Qt:
>
> It seems that I should use the basic Qt frameworks if I want
> to play with QtSVG.
> Is that Right?
> Is there any other alternatives that imposes a looser license?

What do you mean by "looser license"? The Qt licensing options are certainly not meant to be restrictive, so you can choose between a "commercial" license, a "GNU LGPL v. 2.1" license and a "GNU GPL v. 3.0" license. Citing from http://www.qtsoftware.com/products/licensing : "Our aim with Qt is to make it available to as many developers as possible while helping it evolve and grow. We have chosen three licensing options that directly or indirectly help us continue to evolve Qt."

Is there anything fundamentally wrong with the GNU licenses??? And even if, what makes Qt different in this respect from gcc and it's libraries, that are also distributed under GNU licenses?

Regards,
Thomas