Subject: Re: [boost] Interest in a "Heterogenous Container" system?
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-07-31 09:58:29

[It looks like I forgot to send this message.]

Christian Schladetsch wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Simonson, Lucanus J <
> lucanus.j.simonson_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> > [snip] Deriving from a common ancestor base class is contrary
> > to generic programming. Knowing all your types ahead of time
> > (at compile time) is not unreasonable, it is the common case
> > for generic programming.
>
> Sure, but as much as we'd perhaps like to forget about it, it
> is true that C++ supports OO style as well as generic
> programming, especially in GUIs and other object hierarchies.
> In these cases, you either cannot know or don't want to know
> all the types that may be used ahead of time. This is the
> basic premise of loose coupling.

ptr_containers and the heterogeneous containers should account for polymorphic type use cases. Somewhere in that space, however, should be support for cases of homogenous containers of pointers to a single type such that the purpose of the container, aside from holding the pointers, is to assume ownership of them and delete them when the container goes out of scope (unless told to avoid taking ownership).

The latter use case makes tracking the lifetime of allocated memory easier. Yes, containers of shared_ptrs would work, but they add overhead that isn't always wanted. Yes, it is possible to leave pointers to former elements dangling when the container is destroyed, but C++ is replete with such opportunities to cause problems. Sometimes, performance wins.

The heterogeneous containers, being implemented as class templates, need only be defined in terms of operations supported by its parameterizing types. Require that the type T be a common base of all objects in the container and that it provide specific polymorphic operations and you have all that's needed. There's no need to impose that by requiring derivation from any particular base class, just whatever is sensible to the user. If that can be captured via TMP to support types that aren't related with a default that assumes types that are, all the better.

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]