Subject: Re: [boost] [1.40] timeline?
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-08-06 23:50:38

Matthias Troyer wrote:
> On 6 Aug 2009, at 15:19, Eric Niebler wrote:
>> or has the s11n interface changed in a non-backward-compatible way?

no

>> Was MPI making use of undocumented parts of s11n,

MPI was leveraging on the implementation of the archive classes included
with the package. Looks like good practice to me. But then this problem
can (and apparently did) occur.

>>If the latter,
>> I'm a bit concerned that such a breaking change would go in so close
>> to release.

I didn't hear about this until today - that's (5 days after I merged into
release
and maybe 10 days since I loaded into the trunk. I notice that I can't see
MPI tests on the test matrix which might be a problem. Perhaps if
these were visible, I red (literally) flag would have gone up when
I did the merge.

> I'm not too concerned since nothing in Boost but Boost.MPI should be
> affected by that breaking change. One will have to make sure that
> users of Boost know that they'll have to update their archive sources
> though.

The changes are very easy. I'll add a not ot the release information.

Robert Ramey