Subject: Re: [boost] Generic copy-on-write infrastructure in boost?
From: Jarrad Waterloo (jwaterloo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-08-13 08:33:12

Jason Dictos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a way to implement a project using some copy-on-write feature, similar to how STL strings use reference counters to prevent needles copying of data. Is there anything in boost to help me out with this?
>
> -Jason

Check out Flyweight which was made a part of Boost in Version 1.38. As
far as optimizations, Boost already have shared_ptr enhancements that
are undergoing standardization where the control block is merged with
the object pointed to; whether or not Flyweight takes advantage of this
is a different matter. The only thing missing is the small object
optimization.