Subject: Re: [boost] different matrix library?
From: Rutger ter Borg (rutger_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-08-17 03:21:40

joel wrote:

>> Would it be possible to drop the user-unfriendly stuff? :-) Positive
>> definite alone already implies a vector.

I meant matrix of course

> We can provide such short-cut of course. as_matrix is needed to apss the
> complete settings in case like
>
> // acces a vector as a diagonal FORTRAN one by lazyly reindex it &
> reshape it
> as_matrix<settings(diagonal,FORTRAN_indexing)(v);
>> Of course, pick that, then :-) I guess CUBLAS will be faster than SIMD
>> :-)
> I'll tell you this ina bout 8 month when the research project we're
> running on exactly that is complete.
>
>> I see NT2 is under LGPL. Are you considering submitting it for review /
>> changing the license.
> FYI, v3.x o NT2 (the one on the cooking plant) is using Boost License
> and not LGPL anymore.
>
> I started by proposing slicing NT2 components into boost library
> (Boost.SIMD is one).
> We *will* end up boostifying NT2 and submit it for review but that's a
> long term goal (read 3-6 months).
> Currently, our deadline is refurbishing actual code so our own user get
> an update NT2.
> Then ONLY after that , we'll do NT2->Boost.
>
> Note that I'm really shy on this considering the early response I got
> from just proposing Boost.SIMD.
>
> That's why I also proposed DE to team up so we can brainstorm and don't
> dilute effort as we already have a huge code base that was working even
> if it was ugly.

Let's do that.

> We have such glue already but sharing/cheking/getting better is of
> course good.

I see the glue is yours. The code I'm referring to is at

http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/numeric_bindings/boost/numeric/bindings/lapack/
http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/numeric_bindings/boost/numeric/bindings/blas/

it's entirely auto-generated based on the fortran code base, please see

http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/numeric_bindings/libs/numeric/bindings/tools/

so how the code looks and interacts may be adjusted to suit any need. And
give you access to algorithms from after 2006 :-)

> There is an old documentation (NT2 is beign rewritten form ground up
> with proto) that show most of what was able at the point
> on the sourceforge site.

Ok, I'll look into that.

Rutger